Nathan Kirsh (Natie Kirsh), a renowned Swazi billionaire businessman, has firmly established himself as a leading figure in the business world through his immense wealth and successful ventures.
As the richest man in Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) and one of the richest individuals in Southern Africa, Kirsh holds a prestigious position among Africa’s billionaire elite.
Kirsh’s remarkable journey to wealth began with a modest £1,200 ($1,630) inheritance, which he utilized to establish a corn and malt milling business in Eswatini.
Today, he stands as the richest individual in the country, a testament to his entrepreneurial acumen and unwavering determination.
With a fortune totaling $7.56 billion, Kirsh’s wealth is derived from a diverse investment portfolio spanning the retail and real estate sectors.
According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, which tracks the fortunes of the world’s top 500 billionaires, Kirsh presently ranks as the 313th wealthiest person globally.
Kirsh’s investments in Kirsh Group and his significant ownership in Jetro Holdings serve as the primary sources of his wealth, solidifying his status as a prominent Swazi billionaire. His astute decision-making and shrewd business acumen have propelled him to the forefront of Southern Africa’s business landscape.
As one of the African continent’s wealthiest billionaires, Kirsh’s entrepreneurial accomplishments and strategic investments have garnered him widespread recognition.
With a diversified investment portfolio, Kirsh continues to make a lasting impact both domestically and internationally.
Beyond his business endeavors, Kirsh exhibits a deep commitment to philanthropy in Swaziland. He has generously provided over 12,000 individuals with starter capital, enabling them to launch their own small businesses and improve their lives.
Kirsh’s success story serves as an inspiration to aspiring entrepreneurs across Africa. With his impressive wealth and extensive holdings, Billionaires.Africa has identified and cataloged five companies where Kirsh holds direct or indirect ownership, showcasing his influence in the business realm:
- Kirsh Group: Natie Kirsh controls the majority of his investments through Kirsh Group, a private conglomerate operating in Australia, Eswatini, the UK, the United States, and Israel. The group manages a diverse portfolio of assets in various industries, and its dominant ownership of Jetro Holdings reinforces its position as a significant global player.
- Jetro Holdings: Kirsh owns a significant 75-percent stake in Jetro Holdings, a New York-based holding company that manages subsidiaries involved in wholesale distribution of dry and perishable groceries, including alcoholic beverages like beer, wine, and liquor. The company operates two wholesale grocery businesses in the United States: Jetro Cash & Carry and Restaurant Depot.
- Abacus Property Group: Through Jetro Holdings, Kirsh holds a 52-percent stake in Abacus Property Group, a Sydney-based real estate investment trust. Abacus is among 200 publicly listed companies on the Australian Securities Exchange, focusing on investing in Australian real estate, particularly in the Office and Self Storage sectors, with some legacy property developments under its management.
- Jetro Cash & Carry and Restaurant Depot: Kirsh’s diverse investment portfolio includes interest in Jetro Cash & Carry and Restaurant Depot. These stores operate in over 30 U.S. states, offering a wide range of products at competitive prices. They provide convenient and cost-effective solutions to their business customers.
- Kirsh’s global property holdings: Kirsh’s impressive real estate portfolio spans four continents, featuring iconic properties such as London’s Tower 42 and Sydney’s Birkenhead Point. Tower 42, purchased for £238 million ($307 million) years ago is now worth $364 million. This property contributes significantly to Natie Kirsh’s total fortune of $7.56 billion.