Home » Cameroonian-American NBA superstar Joel Embiid earns $57.7 million in past year

Cameroonian-American NBA superstar Joel Embiid earns $57.7 million in past year

by Feyisayo Ajayi
Joel Embiid

Key Points:

  • Cameroonian NBA star Joel Embiid ranks 30th globally among highest-paid athletes, raking in $57.7 million
  • Embiid’s earnings reflect a 13% surge in athlete income, with on-court earnings leading the way.
  • Embiid’s brand extends beyond the court with endorsements and a new Skechers deal, solidifying his global reach.

Cameroonian-American NBA star Joel Embiid has cemented his status as a global icon, joining the ranks of the world’s elite athletes. According to Forbes, Embiid raked in a cool $57.7 million over the past twelve months, ranking 30th among the world’s highest-paid athletes.

The 29-year-old’s significant earnings stem from a lucrative NBA contract. He secured his future with the Philadelphia 76ers with a five-year, $178 million deal (including incentives), followed by a four-year, $196 million extension in August 2021. This not only amplified his earnings but also made him an attractive partner for brands seeking global expansion.

Renowned for his on-court skills and talent, Embiid clinched the 2022-23 Kia NBA Most Valuable Player award, becoming the second African-born winner after Nigerian-American Hakeem Olajuwon. His financial success is further bolstered by HBSE, co-owned by American investors Josh Harris and David Blitzer.

Echoing a global trend

Joel Embiid’s financial success exemplifies the global surge in athlete earnings. The world’s 50 highest-paid athletes collectively raked in an estimated $3.88 billion over the past year before taxes and fees, a significant 13 percent increase from the prior year’s record.

On-field earnings (salaries, bonuses, and prize money) accounted for roughly 76 percent of the total, or $2.94 billion. The remaining 24 percent, or $936 million, stemmed from endorsements, appearances, licensing and memorabilia income, and other business ventures – a 13 percent year-over-year decline from $1.08 billion.

Embiid’s earnings mirrored this trend. His on-field income reached a substantial $47.7 million, while endorsements and other ventures contributed an additional $10 million. This solidifies his position as the third-highest-paid African athlete.

Expanding his brand beyond the court

Joel Embiid, a seven-time NBA All-Star who began playing at 15, further expanded his brand in April 2024 by signing a multi-year sneaker deal with Skechers, transitioning from his previous partnership with Under Armour, where he even had a signature shoe.

His talent and global appeal have attracted lucrative endorsement deals with major brands like Hulu and KIA Motors. These partnerships showcase Embiid’s ability to leverage his American-backed success into a global brand, generating significant revenue streams independent of his NBA salary.

Beyond his financial success, Embiid is committed to giving back. In March 2020, he donated $500,000 to coronavirus relief efforts, followed by an additional six-figure contribution for antibody tests for healthcare workers, demonstrating his commitment to philanthropy.

Joel Embiid’s financial success is a beacon for aspiring athletes, especially in Africa, cementing his status as a global icon and financial powerhouse. His career showcases how athletic talent, strategic partnerships, and American investment can drive global brand development.

You may also like


The world’s premier source of news on Africa’s billionaires and UHNWIs.


Get the daily email to stay informed about African billionaires and UHNWIs. Get informed and entertained, for free.

Latest News

@2024 – Billionaires.Africa. All Rights Reserved.